Friday, October 22, 2010

Book Review--Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy (Hitchhiker's Guide, #1)The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy by Douglas Adams

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


I read this book while in labor with Lincoln. I thought it was fitting. I'd started it before with Nathan, but we got caught up in something else and never finished it. I decided I should read the whole book before having him. And I did. But mostly because he came on 10-11-10.

I would have given the book 3.5 stars instead of four, but that wasn't an option. It was really funny, which is why I bumped it to 4 instead of leaving it at 3. The only things I didn't like were the few references to either their not being a God, or God having made a mistake when he made the world. They were made in jest, I think, but they still bugged me.

The story was fun and people who enjoy British humor will enjoy the book. But if you don't like British humor, don't bother with the book. There were plenty of times where I laughed out loud, despite the hard contractions I was experiencing while reading.

The basic story is (but not really) Arthur Dent is rescued from the earth seconds before its destruction by a friend of his who he didn't know was an alien. Because of this they go hopping from one space ship to another and find their way to a ship that has the last female earthling-Trillion. Arthur, Trillion, and the others find a planet that was supposed to only be legend and by so doing, discover the meaning to live the universe, and everything. Oh, and get a new earth:)

I think Nathan and I will go as Arthur Dent and Trillion for Halloween and make Lincoln be the number 42.



View all my reviews

No comments: