Monday, May 3, 2010

Book Reviews--Little House in the Big Woods and Seeking Persephone

Laura's Early Years Collection (Little House, #1-4) Laura's Early Years Collection by Laura Ingalls Wilder


My rating: 2 of 5 stars
So apparently Little House in the Big Woods is a deep book. Or at least Megan thought so. When we finished it, she immediately started asking me why all kids have a mom and a dad and how it is that kids a long time ago had a mom and a dad, and who fed them (she determined that Jesus must have fed them).

We finally figured out that she was referring to Adam and Even and how they were able to grow up without a mom and dad.

It was an interesting conversation, all sprung from Laura Ingalls Wilder reflecting on what was past and what was present. Weird.

Anyway, at certain points I wanted to quit reading, and at other points I thought it was mildly interesting. It's not a book I would have found worth my time as a kid, but Megan really enjoyed it and even read it on her own at times, leaving me out of the loop and having to catch up to get to where she was. And boy does that girl read fast. I had no idea she could read so fast and retain so much.

Anyway, it was an ok book. If I could give it another half star to make it 2.5, I would. It did spark other interesting conversations about what life was like back then for kids and families. I think Megan appreciates some things more now.

I'm not sure who to recommend the book to. I guess if you like quaint histories, this book's for you.



Seeking Persephone Seeking Persephone by Sarah M. Eden


My rating: 4 of 5 stars
This was a wonderful, clean, regency romance. If you like Jane Austen, you'll like Sarah Eden. If you can't stand reading Austen because she can be difficult to get through at times, you'll love Sarah Eden for being much easier to understand.

This story had my heart pumping for Persephone and Adam. When I only had one chapter left I couldn't imagine that she'd be able to tie up the story in a satisfying way, but she accomplished it well.

This is a self published novel and there were a few times I could tell it needed another editor, a pair of fresh eyes to go through it. But overall I really loved this book. She successfully wove a story with characters I fell in love with and cared about, even a few minor ones like Henry. I loved how she brought Greek mythology into it. I kind of wish it had been a running theme in the story all along the way, but I like how she had Persephone's brother tell the bulk of the story to Adam.

All in all, a very fun, exciting read.

View all my reviews >>



No comments: