Thursday, June 17, 2010

Book Review--Princess of the Midnight Ball

Princess of the Midnight Ball Princess of the Midnight Ball by Jessica Day George


My rating: 5 of 5 stars
As a child this was my very favorite story. I would beg my mom and dad to read it to me every night. After having Megan, I would tell her the story of the twelve dancing princesses as I rocked her to sleep, hoping it would become a favorite of hers, too.

When I found out that Jessica Day George had reworked my favorite childhood story I got very excited and knew I had to read it. I ended up waiting much longer than I wanted, unfortunately, but I finally bought a copy while I was at the Storymakers Writing Conference.

I couldn't put this book down. She has done a phenomenal job with this story. It is seamless, engaging, magical. Despite being in a frantic rush to get my house in order before my parents arrive in a few days, I had to take time to finish it before tackling the mopping or dishes.

The story is no longer simply about princesses who like to dance and defy their father. Here's the book blurb.

Returning home from the war, young Galen finds work with his mother’s family in the royal gardens. There he learns that the king’s twelve daughters have a secret: every night they dance their shoes to tatters, but no one knows how or why. When prince after prince tries and fails to find the answer, and the family is haunted by accusations of witchcraft, Galen decides to help. Armed with a pair of silver knitting needles and an invisibility cloak given to him by a strange old woman, he follows the princesses and unlocks the secret of their curse.


And then here is another really cool thing about this book. At the end of the book after the story is over, she includes knitting patterns of items from the story that are key to the plot. I believe there are also more patterns on her website www.jessicadaygeorge.com.

If you like Jessica's other books or if you like Shannon Hale, you'll love this book!

View all my reviews >>

3 comments:

Carissa Poyfair said...

I LOVED this book too! She also has a new one out, Princess of Glass, which has Poppy (one of the 12 dancing princesses) in a reworking of Cinderella and I LOVE it too! People definitely need to read Jessica Day George. I really liked her Dragon Slippers trilogy too.

Raspberry said...

I really enjoyed this one. Her next one, Princess of Glass is cute too, although I prefer this one.

JerieH said...

I really like this book too. I listened to it durring a trip to Ft Sill, OK. I didn't know about the new book, I guess I need to put it on my wish list!