Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Book Review--The Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

The Other Boleyn GirlThe Other Boleyn Girl by Philippa Gregory

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


I liked this book, but I have a hard time recommending it to anyone I know. If you are an avid European history person (while it wasn't my emphasis, I did study this era), then you'd probably be ok with it because you'd know most of it already. I wasn't too shocked about anything. Besides all my history classes, I remember watching the movie and not being shocked at all, while everyone else I know who saw the movie was extremely shocked and felt scandalized;) If you were one of these people, don't read the book!

The movie leaves a lot out and changes things up. So if you saw the movie and expect it to be like the book, you'll be disappointed. Or possibly feel more scandalized.

All in all, it really was an enjoyable read for me. I really like how Gregory wrote Mary Boleyn. She's a very complex person that's hard to like and hard to dislike at the same time. Now I feel like I need to read a text book, though.


View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

Leanne said...

I never read up on anything European, and I liked the movie. I was a tiny bit shocked, but more grossed out I think of the king, but I know my sister really likes this book, maybe I should give it a shot.