Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Books

It was a busy reading week last week. I read Alcatraz Vs. the Evil Librarians by Brandon Sanderson out loud to Nathan and finished it on the plane ride to Cleveland. It is one of the most hilarious books ever. Brandon wrote most of it while free-writing. I think I'll use the first line of the book as the quote of the week next week so look for it. He came up with the first line while he was at a FHE in his singles' ward. He was bored and having nothing better to do, allowed a clever and hilarious line pop into his head. He wrote it down and filed it away for later. After he finished writing one of his Mistborn books he needed a break and wanted to write something fun, not serious and heavy. He remembered the random line that came to him years before, got it out, and started free-writing. I highly recommend it to anyone who wants a good read and a good laugh.

I've also recently been re-reading The Jimmy Fincher Saga by James Dashner. I just finished book two again. I find the story to be very clever, even if the telling of it is definitely for a little kid. My only complaint is that too many of the main characters sound the same. I am looking forward to reading Dashner's new book The Thirteenth Reality (also a series) which recently hit the shelves. Dashner's sense of humor is one that I love and can just have fun with. He has told me, more than once, that he wishes he could go back and re-write some of the Jimmy Fincher books. But since that probably won't happen anytime soon, I'll just say they are fine how they are. Also I just finished (yes, all these books are being read and finished in the time period of about 5 days) just finished My Not-So-Fairy-Tale Life by Julie Wright. Oh my gosh. I cried through the last half of the book. I stayed up till about 1:30 A.M. to finish it and just sat there in tears the whole time. Very well written. The last book I finished before getting back to Logan was Dragon Slippers by Jessica Day George. I loved it!!! It is being marketed as a "New Fairy Tale" which I find to be most unique. Who knew there could be new fairy tales? But as I read it I completely understood how they could do it. It is such a clever and amazing story. The writing is superb and I just love it. I think it is one of my new favorites. I'm actually itching to read it again and I just finished it last night. I almost asked Megan if I could read the first chapter to her for bedtime. She intended it for YA, but it is being marketed as middle grade. I disagree, because I think it could go either way. Maybe they will re-market it later at YA. Publishers do that sometimes. So now I am between books. I may go to the library tomorrow and check out a YA chick lit book called Meet Your Match by Stephanie Fowers. I liked her book Rules of Engagement, so I'm sure I'll like this one. Rules is very girly though, so if you don't like girly stuff, stay away.

Nathan and I are still reading Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy. We've been so busy that we don't have a lot of time to read together. We read most of Alcatraz on the way to SLC and on the plane to Cleveland. We need to get started on it again. Actually, I guess I am supposed to be reading the books for book club this month. I guess I better find my paper where I wrote those titles down and the check out the books. . . .

No comments: