Monday, March 9, 2009

Book Review-The Diamond of Darkhold

The Diamond of Darkhold (4th Book of Ember) The Diamond of Darkhold by Jeanne Duprau


My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
SMALL SPOILER ALERT!



I really liked this book a lot until the last couple pages (I'm struggling with my rating) and it kind of ruined the whole thing for me. I didn't particularly like the book just before this one, The Prophet of Yonwood, just not enough conflict or anything really of interest going on through the whole book. Anyway, I bring that book up because suddenly in the last two pages of Diamond of Darkhold the author out of nowhere brings in information from Yonwood and ruins the last book by suddenly making the book science fiction. Nothing in any of the books (except one small weird scene in Yonwood even mentions space, however it doesn't mention aliens at all. It was lame to add it suddenly at the very end when readers have invested so much time in her books and have trudged though Yonwood to get to the final book in the series. I really enjoyed The City of Ember, The People of Sparks, and until the last couple pages, The Diamond of Darkhold, but if you decide to read them, just know they are great books and I think they are great studies on people and society, even and perhaps especially Yonwood, however she ruins the last book with the last couple pages.



I do however love her use of imagery. She really is a great writer who provides wonderful characters who are fun to read and watch.


View all my reviews.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Kellie, I found an opportunity for writing childrens books and thought of you. It is through the Institute of Chilfren's Literature. It was in an article with a form, but you could probably just write them. The address is 93 Long Ridge Road West Redding, CT. 06896-0812. They send out an Aptitude test for childrens writing and a brochure.
Don't know if you're interested, but thought of you so here it is. Lots of love. Shannon