Tuesday, March 17, 2009

St. Paddy's Day

The following was posted by Nathan:


Top o' the marnin' to ya!

(you say, "And the rest o' the day to you," which is, of course, the correct response)

St. Patrick's Day is a big deal in my family. I have Scotch Irish blood through my dad's dad's mom and we observe the Irish American tradition of eating corned beef and cabbage. Actually, our family's food tradition consists of corned beef, colcannon (which contains cabbage), dilly bread, and apple oat crisp for dessert.

The first year we were married, Kellie and I prepared all the food and invited one couple to celebrate with us. After that, we decided to make a bigger deal out of it and, in subsequent years, had several families join us. This year is no different. We've rounded up the guys from dental school who didn't have plans for Spring Break plus one of Kellie's friends from church. Fun will be had by all.

I got up at 4:30 this morning to get the corned beef started (I slow cook it for 12 hours and dinner's at 5). We learned early on that it's easier to farm out the other recipes to the people we invite, so the meat is fortunately my only responsibility. I suppose if folks are interested in the recipes, let me know and I'll post 'em in the comments.

In other Green Day news, I made shamrock pancakes for the kids this morning. Unfortunately, they wouldn't let me dye them green, but this is how they turned out:


When I put the food on the table, Megan excitedly exclaimed, "Stingray pancakes! We get stingray pancakes, Jer!" I tried to explain that it was actually a shamrock and Megan rebutted, "Well, you think it's a shamrock, but they're really stingrays. See? Here's the tail!"

Of course! Now I see. Coincidentally, internet lore indicates the stingray brings good luck, so I suppose it's an acceptable alternative.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

May the road rise up to meet you.
May the wind be always at your back.
May the sun shine warm upon your face;
the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,
may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Happy St. Patricks Day!

JerieH said...

Too bad they wouldn't let you make the pancakes green. I once made green eggs and Ham on Dr. Seuse's birthday and the boy I nannied wouldn't touch them. Oh well. We can always try.

Leanne said...

*sigh* we didn't do the big dinner this year. but I thought about you guys. And you totally just mentioned "the Johnsons" as the first couple that you invited. Remember, I was prego and couldn't eat the corned beef? ha ha ha!