Thursday, July 24, 2008

The Birthday Bash

Tuesday was my birthday and I have now been 29 for two days and some odd hours. I'm old.
On Monday we went to the zoo again to see some of what we missed last week. We still haven't seen everything. The kids can only tolerate two sections of the zoo per visit. Good thing it's free on Mondays until Labor Day.

For my birthday breakfast Nathan made me æbleskivers (yum yum yum!). For the few of you who don't know what æbleskivers are, here is a picture of them being cooked. This picture is actually from a couple months ago when I made them all by myself for the first (and so far only) time.

And here is a picture of me with my birthday æbleskivers. We ate all of them except for about six of them in the one sitting. Jeremy quickly polished those six off about an hour after breakfast. Æbleskivers are like pancakes except shaped like little balls. It is a Danish food and a Buckner tradition. We like to open the æbleskivers and put jam inside, it is quite delicious.


For my birthday my thoughtful husband gave me a bluetooth headset for our computer. We use Skype on our computer for all our long-distance phone calls and I hate being tied down to the computer when I talk to people. Every time I call someone, usually my parents, the kids get into something or start fighting and I have to stop my conversation to keep the kids from killing each other or burning down the apartment. The bluetooth set lets me move around the apartment so I can take care of the kids, or fold laundry, sew, etc. and continue my conversation.

My mother-in-law sent me some lavender bath stuff: a poof, lotion, bath gel, etc., which I've already had to keep away from Jeremy. So I will hopefully be smelling nice as long as I can keep it all away from Jeremy who, for some reason, likes to get into bathroom stuff.

My parents sent me an iPod shuffle and a gift card for iTunes. Nathan put a bunch of songs on it for me, just from CDs and songs we already had on the computer and I used the gift card to buy an audiobook-Eragon-which I am enjoying immensely. They also treated us to dinner so we went to the Texas Roadhouse and it was SO GOOD!

We ended up getting home kind of late and didn't have time to make my birthday pie (I wanted pie this year for some reason) so we did that yesterday. Nathan made me an apple and strawberry pie. Here's a picture of it.

And here's a picture of it after we cut into it.

What are those strange colors on the pie, you may ask? Those would be the candles that melted into the pie. This way the kids could identify the pieces they wanted by announcing the color they liked best. Just kidding. Kind of. Nathan thought the pie was cooled enough to have the candles in it, but after a few minutes they were all melted. The pie was delicious, even with the tad bit of waxy goodness. The kids didn't even seem to notice the wax had a taste.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Happy Birthday Kelly!